Title 21 Vacancy Announcement
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM)
Office of Management (OM)
Position: Operations Research Analyst
Pay Plan-Series: AD-1515
Location: Rockville, Maryland
Travel Requirements: <25%
Application Period: June 28, 2021 – July 12, 2021
Salary: Starting at $103,690 (Cures Band C)
Area of Consideration: United States Citizens or Nationals
Relocation Expenses Reimbursement: Relocation expenses will not be paid.
Special Notes: This position is being filled under a stream-lined hiring authority, Title 21, Section 3072 of the 21st Century Cures Act. The candidate selected for this position will serve under a career or career-conditional appointment and be paid under the provisions of this authority. Additional information on 21st Century Cures Act can be found here: 21st Century Cures Act Information.
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA or Agency) is the regulatory, scientific, public health and consumer protection agency responsible for ensuring all human and animal drugs, medical devices, cosmetics, foods, food additives, drugs and medicated feeds for food producing animals, tobacco and radiation emitting devices safe, and effective.
The mission of the Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) is to protect and promote human and animal health. CVM ensures the safety of the American food supply, the safety of animal food and devices, and the safety and effectiveness of animal drugs. Specifically, CVM evaluates new animal drug applications for safety and effectiveness; monitors animal drugs, foods, and devices on the market; evaluates animal food additives for safety and utility; and conducts applied research to further protect human and animal health. As a high-performance organization within the FDA, CVM strives for excellence, innovation, and leadership across all operations, occupations, and grade levels.
The Office of Management’s (OM) primary responsibility is to provide leadership and direction for CVM’s management and administrative functions. This includes interactions with the Center, Agency, Department, and other Federal agencies to assure compliance with statutes, executive orders, and administrative directives. Additionally, OM performs management and program analyses, program assessments, and special studies of key issues relative to policy review and oversight. Learn more about the Office of Management.
As an Operations Research Analyst on OM’s Budget Planning and Evaluation Staff, you will:
- Lead and conduct analysis and evaluation of program policy and program operations that require the application of disciplines such as operations research and analysis, process analysis and improvement, value-stream analysis, risk analysis, decision analysis, economics, mathematics, or statistics.
- Collect and analyze performance information to improve evidence-based budget formulation, budget deliberations, and overall performance measurement throughout the Center.
- Lead the conceptualization of complex analyses and the choice of specific method and approach for a single project or an entire area of investigation to achieve the objective of evaluation tasks.
- Lead strategic assessments using operations research skills to assist with existing budget formulation processes to include evaluating various options and timing under differing budget assumptions.
- Construct mathematical models using advanced operations research, cost/benefit analysis, economic theory, and risk assessment techniques to evaluate the need for changes in practices and policies.
- Contribute to CVM’s overall resource capacity planning capabilities, helping to build more systematic and data-driven processes so that the organization can better understand and anticipate its current and future resource demands.
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship requirement or proof of being a U.S. National must be met by closing date.
- Employment is subject to the successful completion of a background investigation, verification of qualifications, completion of onboarding forms, submission of required documents, and any other job-related requirement before or after appointment.
- Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- Direct Deposit: You will be required to have all federal salary payments electronically deposited into a bank account with a financial institution of your choice.
- FDA participates in e-Verify: All new hires must complete the I-9 form; this information will be processed through e-Verify to determine your employment eligibility. If a discrepancy arises, you must take affirmative steps to resolve the matter.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- One year probationary period may be required.
- Financial Disclosure may be required.
- Ethics Clearance may be required.
- Background Investigation/Security Clearance is required. All employees must pass a security investigation. Failing to pass the background check may be grounds for removal or legal action. If hired, you may be subject to additional investigations at a later time.
Degree: in operations research; or at least 24 semester hours in a combination of operations research, mathematics, probability, statistics, mathematical logic, science, or subject-matter courses requiring substantial competence in college-level mathematics or statistics. At least 3 of the 24 semester hours must have been in calculus.
Please click here for additional information on degree requirements and how education will be evaluated.
Professional Experience Requirements
- Developing in-depth analytical models and methods to investigate study/project objectives and determine future budget requirements utilizing the appropriate techniques for quantitative and qualitative data collection;
- Utilizing predictive analysis and data visualization to validate and summarize study findings and conclusions in succinct and informative recurring written and oral reports issued to management; and
- Serving as technical advisor to leadership responsible for making broad budget formulation and resource capacity determinations for an organization.
Ethics Clearance Requirements
This position may require financial disclosure reporting and will be subject to FDA's prohibited financial interest regulation. If you are hired, you may be required to divest of certain financial interests. You are advised to seek additional information on this requirement from the hiring official before accepting any job offers. For more information please visit the FDA Ethics web page.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor. Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis. A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits. Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when: An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job. An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace. An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events. You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis. Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
The Food and Drug Administration participates in the USCIS Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program (E-Verify). E-Verify helps employers determine employment eligibility of new hires and the validity of their Social Security numbers.
How to Apply
Please submit your letter of interest, resume, and transcripts by July 12, 2021 to: [email protected] with the subject line of “Cures Operations Research Analyst – OM—Working at CVM Internet Page”.
For questions regarding this announcement, please contact [email protected] using the subject line provided above.
Safeguarding human and animal health is what we do. When you join our team, you impact this unique and amazing mission no matter your position. You also join a diverse community of exceptional people who encourage and support everyone to dream, inspire each other, and live our best lives, personally and professionally. When you join CVM, you join an incredible place to work.
The Department of Health and Human Services is an equal opportunity employer with a smoke free environment.
FDA is an equal opportunity employer.