Ice Cream/Frozen Dairy
Foodborne Illness Reason for Announcement:
Recall Reason Description
Royal Ice Cream, Batch, Ronny Brook, and Others
The Royal Ice Cream Company, Inc. of Manchester, CT is expanding its recall to include all products manufactured at the facility within expiry, because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
All effected products will have the manufacturing plant number “CT121” or “CT#121”.
The effected brands manufactured at Royal Ice Cream Company, Inc in Manchester, CT with the above plant number are:
- Batch brand pints, all flavors
- Royal Ice Cream Brand half Gallons, pints, cakes, all specialties.
- Ronny Brook Ice cream all flavor pints & 3 gallon tubs
- New Orleans Ice cream all flavor pints & 2.5-gallon tubs
- Maple Valley Ice Cream all flavor pints
- Art Cream all pint Flavors
- Sweet Scoops Yogurt all pint Flavors
- Gelato Fiasco all pint Flavors
- Biggy Iggy’s Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Munson Chip Wich Ice Cream sandwiches
- Giffords Ice cream Sandwiches all flavors
- Chewy Louie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Snow Wich Ice Cream Sandwich
- Newport Creamery – Crazy Vanilla, Van & Choc , Vanilla & Coffee HG – only
The recall is for all product that is within expiry.
The effected ice cream was distributed in retail stores in MA, CT, RI, VT, NY, LA, FL, TX, NH.
Products are packaged in pints, half gallons, Sandwiches, portion control slices.
There have been no illnesses reported to date.
The recall was initiated by Royal Ice Cream after FDA sampling revealed the presence of Listeria monocytogenes on processing equipment. The company is holding future product and testing before releasing distribution of the products as FDA and the company continue their investigation as to what caused the problem.
Consumers who have purchased any of the effected products are urged to return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 860-649-5358, Monday thru Friday 7:30 to 5:00. EST.