The inventory of GRAS notices provides information about GRAS notices filed since 1998, when FDA received its first GRAS notice. As of October 17, 2016, the GRAS final rule (81 FR 54960; August 17, 2016) requires a specific format for a GRAS notice. Prior to that date, FDA processed GRAS notices under the framework of the GRAS proposed rule (62 FR 18938; April 17, 1997). Notices received prior to the effective date of the GRAS final rule provide examples for potential notifiers for the types of information that may support a GRAS conclusion. In the inventory, notices follow the requirements for the format and content of a GRAS notice as of the effective date of the GRAS final rule.
We will update this information approximately monthly. More information about this inventory is available on the GRAS Notice Inventory Introduction page.
Search and display hints:
- Select the specific GRN number below to view additional details about any GRAS Notice.
- To sort by a specific field, click on the column header for that field.
- To browse the records, use the Show All, First/Previous/Next/Last, and Jump To options at the bottom of the data table.
- To search for a specific substance/term, enter the term in the Search box and select Show Items to display only those records that contain the selected term. (The search results also includes terms not shown on this page, but included in the full record on the detail page.)
- The search results will return hits of records containing words that include the search term. For example, a search for the color red will return results that include terms such as reduce, ingredient, and cultured. To limit results to only the searched term, place a space before and after the word in the basic search or in the advanced search “this exact phrase” field.
Download data from this searchable database in Excel format. If you need help accessing information in different file formats, see Instructions for Downloading Viewers and Players.