Today the FBI released Hate Crime Statistics, 2018, the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program’s latest compilation about bias-motivated incidents throughout the nation. The 2018 data, submitted by 16,039 law enforcement agencies, provide information about the offenses, victims, offenders, and locations of hate crimes.
Law enforcement agencies submitted incident reports involving 7,120 criminal incidents and 8,496 related offenses as being motivated by bias toward race, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sexual orientation, disability, gender, and gender identity. Please note the UCR Program does not estimate offenses for the jurisdictions of agencies that do not submit reports. Highlights of Hate Crime Statistics, 2018 follow. (Due to rounding, percentage breakdowns may not add to 100.0 percent.)
Victims of Hate Crime Incidents
- There were 7,036 single-bias incidents involving 8,646 victims. A percent distribution of victims by bias type shows that 59.6 percent of victims were targeted because of the offenders’ race/ethnicity/ancestry bias; 18.7 percent were targeted because of the offenders’ religious bias; 16.7 percent were victimized because of the offenders’ sexual-orientation bias; 2.2 percent were targeted because of the offenders’ gender identity bias; 2.1 percent were victimized because of the offenders’ disability bias; and 0.7 percent were victimized because of the offenders’ gender bias.
- There were 84 multiple-bias hate crime incidents, which involved 173 victims.
Offenses by Crime Category
- Of the 5,566 hate crime offenses classified as crimes against persons in 2018, 46.0 percent were for intimidation, 34.0 percent were for simple assault, and 18.4 percent were for aggravated assault. Twenty-four (24) murders and 22 rapes were reported as hate crimes. The remaining 39 hate crime offenses were reported in the category of other.
- There were 2,641 hate crime offenses classified as crimes against property. The majority of these (71.0 percent) were acts of destruction/damage/vandalism. Robbery, burglary, larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, arson, and other offenses accounted for the remaining 29.0 percent of crimes against property.
- Two hundred eighty-nine (289) additional offenses were classified as crimes against society. This crime category represents society’s prohibition against engaging in certain types of activity such as gambling, prostitution, and drug violations. These are typically victimless crimes in which property is not the object.
In the UCR Program, the term known offender does not imply that the suspect’s identity is known; rather, the term indicates that some aspect of the suspect was identified, thus distinguishing the suspect from an unknown offender. Law enforcement agencies specify the number of offenders and, when possible, the race of the offender or offenders as a group. Beginning in 2013, law enforcement began reporting whether suspects were juveniles or adults, as well as the suspect’s ethnicity when possible.
- Of the 6,266 known offenders, 53.6 percent were white, and 24.0 percent were black or African American. Other races accounted for the remaining known offenders: 1.3 percent were Asian; 1.0 percent were American Indian or Alaska Native; 0.3 percent were Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander; and 6.9 percent were of a group of multiple races. The race was unknown for 12.9 percent.
- Of the 5,349 known offenders for whom ethnicity was reported, 29.9 percent were not Hispanic or Latino, 8.9 percent were Hispanic or Latino, and 1.6 percent were in a group of multiple ethnicities. Ethnicity was unknown for 59.5 percent of these offenders.
- Of the 5,589 known offenders for whom ages were known, 84.7 percent were 18 years of age or older.
Locations of Hate Crimes
Law enforcement agencies may specify the location of an offense within a hate crime incident as 1 of 46 location designations. In 2018, most hate crime incidents (25.7 percent) occurred in or near residences/homes. More than 18 percent (18.7) occurred on highways/roads/alleys/streets/sidewalks; 9.2 percent occurred at schools/colleges; 5.3 percent happened at parking/drop lots/garages; and 3.7 percent took place in churches/synagogues/temples/mosques. The location was reported as other/unknown for 11.2 percent of hate crime incidents. The remaining 26.1 percent of hate crime incidents took place at other or multiple locations.
The Department of Justice (DOJ) is dedicated to preventing and combating hate crimes. To learn more about this work and to find events, news, and resources related to hate crimes, please visit the DOJ Hate Crimes website. For additional information about the hate crimes statistics released today, visit the DOJ Hate Crimes Facts and Statistics page.